Facing challenge in making some changes in GDB for my personal project

Ruslan Kabatsayev b7.10110111@gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 20:29:00 GMT 2019

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 at 20:40, krishnan gosakan
<krishnan.gosakan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ruslan Kabatsayev ,

Hi,
Please keep your replies to the mailing list directed at the mailing
list too, not exclusively to me (i.e. use the "Reply to All" function
of your mail client).

> Thanks for your response. I will definitely try Capstone for disassembly.
> But I have a few more queries related to gdb. Is there any special reason why binutils disassembler is designed such a way that the disassembly part and the printing part are tightly coupled.
> I think it is good if we keep these two parts separate. Is there any special reason why it is this way? I admit that this model is simplistic, but apart from that is there anything which makes these two parts together?

Generalizing the disassembler would make it more complex and much
larger for little reason: none of the programs using it are even close
to requiring this level of detail about the instructions. See e.g.
GDB, objdump, QEMU — they only need to dump textual representation of
the machine code, nothing more.

Other programs like EDB, radare2 and x64dbg indeed need this, and they
use other disassembly engines like Capstone or Zydis.