/ (slash) command : fast way to temporarily change setting(s) to run a command

Philippe Waroquiers philippe.waroquiers@skynet.be
Tue Apr 16 06:48:00 GMT 2019

On Mon, 2019-04-15 at 23:06 -0400, Simon Marchi wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> I like the idea, I would probably use it most with /e (for long strings) and /p.
> I just tried it a little bit, and I appreciate the fact that it's easy to apply
> to your previous command.  Just type up and add the prefix to the beginning of the
> line.
Interesting, that was not the primary use case I was thinking to.

We could make this even easier by making COMMAND optional in:
   Usage: /SETTING... [COMMAND]
and giving no command means to repeat the previous command with the additional
given settings e.g. :
    (gdb) some command
    .... some command output
    (gdb) /e
        => executes /e some command

    (gdb) /e some command
    ... some command output
    (gdb) /p
       => executes  /ep some command

I guess we probably call dont_repeat () in / command
when no COMMAND is given.

> About that help, I would just add a few newlines here and there to space things
> out and ease the reading.  Other than that, it's quite clear.
Ok, will add some new lines in the v2 of the patch.

Thanks for the feedback

Philippe