getenv always return NULL in GDB/DDD

Luo, Ginger Ginger.Luo@amd.com
Mon Oct 29 05:05:00 GMT 2018

Simon,

Thanks, It's awesomely working.

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Marchi <simon.marchi@polymtl.ca>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2018 10:21 PM
To: Luo, Ginger <Ginger.Luo@amd.com>
Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: getenv always return NULL in GDB/DDD

On 2018-10-26 05:35, Luo, Ginger wrote:
> Hello, GDB experts
>

> I try to call getenv in my C code, this can return correct env string
> in terminal, while it returns NULL in GDB/DDD.
>

> #include <stdlib.h>
>
> #include <string.h>
>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> void main() {
>   char * a = getenv("ANCHOR"); // ANCHOR exists in the terminal
>   if (strlen(a)>0)
>     printf("%s\n", a);
> }
>

> The GDB/DDD is started from the same terminal. Even I "show
> environment", this env exists.
>
> Anyone any idea?
>
> OS/Tools version info: RHEL Linux hostname1 2.6.32-754.3.5.el6.x86_64
> #1 SMP Thu Aug 9 11:56:22 EDT 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.12
>
> gcc (GCC) 6.3.0
> SHELL is tcsh, DDD/GDB is using default settings.
>
> Let me know if you need any further info.

I don't see off-hand why this would happen.  One thing to try would be "set startup-with-shell off".  If, for some reason, your shell (through which the debugged program is ran) messes up with the environment, this would bypass it entirely.

Otherwise, as usual, I would recommend trying the latest version of GDB.
  I don't have anything specific in mind that changed recently, but it's good to try.

Simon