How to reset broken stty after printed binary data?

Howard Chu hyc@symas.com
Thu Oct 18 12:18:00 GMT 2018

Thomas Nyberg wrote:
> I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask, but sometimes my terminal gets messed up inside gdb by e.g. printing binary data. If this happens in the shell, I can execute caommands like `$ stty sane` or `$ reset` (see https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/32/salvage-a-borked-terminal for more info).

The most common disruption is the terminal getting stuck in alternate graphics mode, where letters
are replaced with line-drawing characters. You can return to default by sending a Ctrl-O to the terminal.
In the shell it'd just be "echo Ctrl-V Ctrl-O".

--
  -- Howard Chu