Obsoleting Solaris 10 support

Dennis Clarke dclarke@blastwave.org
Tue Oct 16 18:21:00 GMT 2018

On 10/16/2018 12:39 PM, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>> this would argue for an obsoletion in the GDB 8.4 timeframe, roughly at
>> the same time GCC itself does.  Issues I'm facing with Solaris 10 right
>> now (apart from the S10-only build breakages) are having to deal with
>> different syscall numbers while working on an xml syscall table for
>> Solaris and catch syscall support, as well as differences in corefile
>> contents.  I suspect there will be more as time goes on.
>
> Sound good. Feel free to step in and make suggestions if you have
> new info that makes you think we should stop support earlier.

I can not think of a valid compelling reason to make the effort.  I have
had no major problems getting gcc bootstrapped on ye old s10 but I use
dbx from the Sun/Oracle Studio line for debug work.  If at all.

Given that Oracle has dropped Solaris 10 into a legacy support status
there isn't any valid reason for extra efforts to get gdb working
flawlessly.  At least I can not think of any.  Sadly.

Dennis Clarke
ye old UNIX greybeard