Multiple locations and breakpoints confusion.

Phil Muldoon pmuldoon@redhat.com
Tue May 1 08:15:00 GMT 2018

Hello all,

I have a very simple test inferior:

class multiple_test
{
public:
  void foo(int f);
  void foo(double f);
};

void multiple_test::foo(int f)
{
  return;
}

void multiple_test::foo(double f)
{
  return;
}

main()
{
  multiple_test m;
  m.foo(2);
  m.foo(2.2);
}

And I place a breakpoint on 'multiple_test::foo'

This results in a breakpoint with two locations (as expected):

(gdb) info breakpoints
Num     Type           Disp Enb Address            What
1       breakpoint     keep y   <MULTIPLE>
1.1                         y     0x00000000004004b3 in multiple_test::foo(int) at multiple.cpp:10
1.2                         y     0x00000000004004c3 in multiple_test::foo(double) at multiple.cpp:15

Now, If I disable 1.1 it shows (correctly):

(gdb) disable 1.1
(gdb) info breakpoints
Num     Type           Disp Enb Address            What
1       breakpoint     keep y   <MULTIPLE>
1.1                         n     0x00000000004004b3 in multiple_test::foo(int) at multiple.cpp:10
1.2                         y     0x00000000004004c3 in multiple_test::foo(double) at multiple.cpp:15

And indeed that breakpoint is not enabled. If I disable the "parent" breakpoint:

(gdb) disable 1
(gdb) info breakpoints
Num     Type           Disp Enb Address            What
1       breakpoint     keep n   <MULTIPLE>
1.1                         n     0x00000000004004b3 in multiple_test::foo(int) at multiple.cpp:10
1.2                         y     0x00000000004004c3 in multiple_test::foo(double) at multiple.cpp:15

It shows 1 as disabled but 1.2 as enabled. That seems wrong to me. In
fact, all of the breakpoints are disabled as evidenced by:

(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/pmuldoon/outgoing/multiple
[Inferior 1 (process 17661) exited normally]
(gdb)

So in recreating multiple location management in Python, I'm a bit
confused if disabling the parent breakpoint should disable all
locations and there's a display buglet on "info breakpoints", or if
the "info breakpoints" output is correct and there's a breakpoint
buglet regarding the disabling of breakpoints?

Cheers

Phil