[Compile] Inserting compiled code via jumps

Paul Naert paul.naert@polymtl.ca
Mon Dec 17 17:01:00 GMT 2018

Hi,
The idea is similar to fast breakpoints conditions, as gdb would need
to patch in a jump to the compiled code directly or via a trampoline.
Here is an example of how it could be used :

(gdb) fcompile file snippet.c test.c:8

// snippet.c is compiled via gcc. It could contain a call to an trace
collector function for instance
// The instruction corresponding to line 8 of source file test.c is
replaced by a jump to a trampoline
// In the trampoline we call _gdb_expr_(), and then execute the
instruction that we replaced, corrected for displacement

(gdb) run

// The code from snippet.c is executed every time we hit line 8 of test.c

This would directly encompass fast breakpoint conditions, using a
snippet like "if(cond) __asm__("int3");".
NB: this does not work right now because gdb does not debug the
inserted snippet, but it should when injected via a jump.

The code for patching in the jump is located in gdbserver, I think
there is no use for dyninst for this. I am currently trying to migrate
what is necessary to a common directory.

If you need any more information let me know.

Thanks,

Paul