[Compile] Inserting compiled code via jumps

Paul Naert paul.naert@polymtl.ca
Wed Dec 12 16:09:00 GMT 2018

Hi,

I am a masters student and I would like to devote my research to
improving GDB's GCC Compile and Execute by adding the possibility to
jump directly to the compiled code without having to hit a breakpoint.

The idea is to reuse the same principle that was used in fast
tracepoints to insert code in a compiled program, except that instead
of jumping to GDB's collector function we would execute the code
compiled by GCC each time we hit the selected instruction.

Given the code for compiling a snippet of C through GCC and the code
for inserting fast tracepoint already exist, I think that this should
be feasible.

What I was wondering is :
    -  Has someone already worked on this ? On the wiki page there are
mentions to future projects that seem related (fast breakpoint
conditions most notably)
    -  Do you see any reason why that would not work that I missed,
except for the limitations of the existing Compile project?

Thank you,

Paul NAERT