GDB for R? Some info on current use of GDB with R

Andrew Hoerner towardvictory@gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 04:09:00 GMT 2018

There is actually a fairly extensive discussion of GDB in the R Manual
"Writing R Extensions" (available at
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/), all in section 4 on
debugging. A lot of this discussion is over my head, but I think it is
mainly about debugging compiled code or non-R code called by R. At
least, no discussion of R debugging features I have ever seen before
mentions use of GDB as an option. So I suppose I should make clear
that my inquiry is about using GDB for debugging R code, not
"connected to R" code.

All of the references to GDB are under either subhead 4.3, "Checking
memory access," or section 4.4, "Debugging compiled code."
Here are the subject headings that contain explicit references to GDB:
4.3.2 Using valgrind
4.3.3 Using the Address Sanitizer
4.3.4 Using the Undefined Behaviour Sanitizer
4.4    Debugging compiled code
4.4.1 Finding entry points in dynamically loaded code