Not able to pass over a sleep state while debugging

giancarlo giancarlo@emutex.com
Wed Feb 15 17:29:00 GMT 2017

Hi all,

I am trying to debug things that happens before and after a SoC sleep.

I am using gdb remotely, connected to openocd on a machine connected
through /dev/ttyUSB0 to the board under test.

1. I start the firmware on the board with continue command.
2. After a short while it goes to sleep mode.
3. A programmed counter makes it coming back from sleep mode after one
second.
4. Then it enters in a loop waiting for a hardware event.
5. At this point if I ctrl+C from gdb it shows:

     target running
     ^C
     0x00008136 in ?? ()

That address has no sense (there is nothing at that address) and gdb
seems completely lost.

In fact bt gives this:

     (gdb) bt
     #0  0x00008136 in ?? ()

I tried too by setting a hard breakpoint at some point after the sleep
and before the loop. It seems stopping the the board but nothing comes
out from the gdb console. Ctrl+C gives the same output shown above.

There is any particular technique or configuration to pass over sleep
states and be able to continue debugging? Or is it simply not possible?

By the way the SoC under test has intel architecture.

Thanks,
Gianca