Issue with Latest GDB on AIX with GCC-6.12

Pedro Alves pedro@palves.net
Sun Feb 12 23:52:00 GMT 2017

On 02/12/2017 09:05 PM, David Edelsohn wrote:

> Investigating the exception handling problem with another non-IBM AIX
> developer, the problem appears to be that statically linking libgcc
> and libstdc++ create two, separate and distinct copies of the unwind
> tables.  These tables are not merged and the unwinder cannot find the
> EH catcher.  It's not immediately clear why this worked in GCC 4.8 and
> not in GCC 4.9 and later.
>
> GDB with exception handling should work if libgcc and libstdc++ are
> linked as shared libraries.  The linking error with GCC 6.1 is cockpit
> error.
>
> Can we disable -static-libgcc and -static-libstdc++ for AIX?

Works for me.  Those are added by the top level configure.  They were
originally added for gcc, we just inherited it.  Ideally adding
those would be controllable with a configure option, IMO.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves