GSoC

Phil Muldoon pmuldoon@redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 21:40:00 GMT 2017

On 07/02/17 21:00, Simon Marchi wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> A friend of mine suggested that the GDB project should participate in the Google Summer of Code.  However, the deadline to register as a mentoring organization is this Thursday, in two days!  So we need to act fast if we want to participate.  From what I can see, the application process is relatively straightforward, but somebody needs to take care of it (I don't think it has to be the person who will be the mentor, since this may depend on the actual chosen project).  I can be that somebody if nobody else wants to.
>
> First of all, I have seen that GDB has been accepted as a mentoring organization in the past:
>
>  - https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/SummerOfCode2014/Ideas
>  - https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/SummerOfCode2011/Ideas
>  - https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/SummerOfCode2009/Proposal
>  - https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/SummerOfCode2009/Ideas
>
> It would be interesting to gather some feedback from those who lead this initiative in the past.  Would you suggest trying to go for it again?  Why, why not?
>
> About the actual projects ideas, I'm sure we will be able to collect good ideas from the members of the community.  There's always the ProjectIdeas page on the wiki [1] to get some inspiration.  On my side, there's the output colouring support which I'd like to see become a reality some day :).
>
> Simon
>
> [1] https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/ProjectIdeas
>

>From an idea standpoint I'd love to see the underpinnings of inferior
control* capabilities from scripting languages. Perhaps a class that
registered scripting languages can call (currently Python and Guile)
to affect control of an inferior, with feedback, from an interface. It
would ideally abstract all the horrible details from the scripting
language.

Note, I do not think this will be an easy project, but it will
introduce the person to the community as, I think, they will have to
question it quite closely to implement the semantics and exceptions
involved in inferior control to an external interface.

Cheers,

Phil

* Inferior control being more than being a gdb.command call and hoping
  things go ok.