internal-error inferior_thread(): Assertion `tp' failed

Simon Marchi simon.marchi@polymtl.ca
Thu Apr 20 15:45:00 GMT 2017

On 2017-04-20 10:13, Luke Dalessandro wrote:
> One of my main uses of gdb is to attach to multithreaded valgrind
> processes run as `valgrind --vgdb=yes --vgdb-error=0`
>
> With recent builds of gdb I have started to encounter this assertion
> when the valgrind process is creating new threads.
>
>     thread.c:89: internal-error: thread_info* inferior_thread():
> Assertion `tp' failed.
>
> I suspect that this has something to do with my environment (I’m
> configuring and running from a $HOME relative prefix), but the
> assertion itself doesn’t given me much information to go on, google
> has been unhelpful, and I’m not aware of any specific changes that
> I’ve made to my environment.
>
> Does anyone have experience with this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Luke

Hi Luke,

This error is quite generic.  It means that the currently selected
thread in GDB (identified by a process/thread id) doesn't have a
corresponding entry in the GDB thread list.  That's definitely a GDB
bug, since it's a state it shouldn't be in.

If you want to increase the chances of someone looking at the problem,
you should provide an easy way to reproduce your problem (small test
program, gdb commands used, etc).

Thanks,

Simon