gdb on macOS 10.12 "Sierra"

Jonas Maebe jonas-devlists@watlock.be
Mon Oct 31 11:54:00 GMT 2016

Tristan Gingold wrote:
>> On 01 Oct 2016, at 14:08, Jonas Maebe <jonas-devlists@watlock.be> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone succeeded yet in getting gdb to work on macOS 10.12? Reportedly, it works when you disable SIP (which is understandable, given https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Security/Conceptual/System_Integrity_Protection_Guide/RuntimeProtections/RuntimeProtections.html ), but plain code signing no longer seems to cut it.
>
> No, I haven't tried yet.  Did you investigate if lldb has updated its build instructions ?

I finally got time to look into this. lldb's codesigning instructions
are at
https://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/lldb/trunk/docs/code-signing.txt .
They have not been updated recently, but they do differ from gdb's.
However, the result is exactly the same: SIG113.

I've also asked on the darwin-dev@apple list, but did not get any
replies there.

I've now tried building lldb, and regardless of whether I use the GDB or
LLDB-style codesigning certificate to sign debugserver (lldb itself does
not need codesigning), it works. So it seems like the problem is not
necessarily related to codesigning per se.

Jonas