GDB on AIX

Pedro Alves palves@redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 17:44:00 GMT 2016

On 11/14/2016 05:35 PM, David Edelsohn wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Pedro Alves <palves@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 11/14/2016 03:51 PM, Yao Qi wrote:
>>> Hi David and Sergio,
>>>
>>> GDB mainline is broken on aix (gcc119.fsffrance.org),
>>
>>> (gdb) kill
>>> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'gdb_exception_RETURN_MASK_ERROR'
>>> IOT/Abort trap (core dumped)
>>
>> If you debug gdb and put a breakpoint on throw_it, what does the
>> backtrace look like?  Would be exception be crossing
>> some C library that doesn't understand C++ exceptions,
>> other than readline?
>
> Does the code assume that it can through an exception through a system library?

It shouldn't of course, but since we used to implement our own
home grown exception scheme using setjmp/longjmp, there may be
places that do throw across system libraries that happen to work
on x86-64 (and thus go unnoticed) because these system libraries are
built with -fexceptions.  The url Yao pointed at before was a series
fixing one such case.  I had confirmed at the time that that fixed
AIX, though (the older machine), so it's a bit puzzling.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves