including git commit in version

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Fri Jan 8 19:07:00 GMT 2016

On 08 Jan 2016 12:02, Kieran Bingham wrote:
> I'm currently carrying around a local patch on my development branches to
> add the SHA hash to the version.
> Would this be of use to propose to gdb-patches?

i had that in the back of my mind.  i'd be ok with this sort of thing.

> It's much more useful to be able to tie into an explicit commit reference
> than just a date.

since the date is updated by a script, that can be tied to a commit in
a close range, so it's not that bad.  it's not like the datestamp is
coming from `date` itself.

> Produces:
> > armv7-linux-gdb -v
> > GNU gdb (GDB) 7.10.1.20151205-git-gdb-7.10.1-release-2-g3e96ddbffb05

i think this is only when you're on a branch ?  master doesn't
include all that.  it is verbose, but i'm fine with it.
-mike