Remote Serial Protocol -- reply to '?' when target running

taylor, david david.taylor@emc.com
Tue Aug 9 18:41:00 GMT 2016

> From: gdb-owner@sourceware.org [mailto:gdb-owner@sourceware.org] On
> Behalf Of Michael Eager

> When gdb connects to a remote target, it asks about
> features, and then sends a '?' packet, asking why the
> target is stopped.  When the target connection is through
> a JTAG pod, the pod may be able to respond to the feature
> request, but not be able to determine what the current state of
> the target is, likely because it is not stopped.  What should a
> JTAG pod reply in this case?
>
> The GDB Remote Protocol doc doesn't seem to be entirely consistent.

Sounds like you are in non-stop mode...  our stub

In 'Remote Protocol Support for Non-Stop Mode' (part of appendix E), it says in part:

    If all threads are running when the target receives the '?' packet,
    or if the target is not attached to any process, it shall respond 'OK'.

I don’t know about others, but we operate in non-stop mode and if there
 are no stopped threads, we respond with 'OK'.