AVR debugging - Can't read io register contents

Diogo Martins Silva diogo.masilva@gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 13:25:00 GMT 2015

Hello.

I'm debugging an AVR software using an AVR Dragon - Avarice - avr-gdb -
Eclipse Toolchain in Ubuntu 15.10, with current packages.

While trying to read some register address (1284p's EICRA register at
0x69), I get all zeros. If I printf the register, the correct value is
printed. I know to have successfully altered the register because the
behavior of the micro changes accordingly.

Funny thing is I can correctly read every other register.

How do I pinpoint this? I'm not knowledgeable of gdb, so I appreciate
your help.

Diogo