Why pedantic?

Paul_Koning@Dell.com Paul_Koning@Dell.com
Mon Aug 24 18:15:00 GMT 2015

I'm trying to understand why --pedantic is specified in several of the subdirectories used with building gdb -- and in particular, why there isn't any obvious way to turn that off.  I've run into this in "libiberty" and possibly also "libdecnumber".  While this may be ok for Linux, it breaks some cross-builds.  At the very least I end up having to work around a pile of "C90 doesn't support blah blah" messages that now need to go into the "ignore this warning during builds" list in my build procedures.

"pedantic" generally defines warnings that are suggested by the standard but are judged to be not particularly useful -- so why use them unconditionally?

	paul