GDB on Mac OS

Paul_Koning@Dell.com Paul_Koning@Dell.com
Wed Aug 12 13:38:00 GMT 2015

> On Aug 11, 2015, at 11:12 PM, Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> wrote:
>
>> I just test builds of the current gdb (GIT master) on Mac OS 10.10.4.
>> I built it with the stock LLVM, then with GDB 5.2.  Both require the
>> configure switch --disable-build-warnings in order for things to build
>> (the default blows up with compiler error messages).
>
> The fact that it has build warnings is not too surprising. Outside
> of GNU/Linux, I'm not sure it's building warning-free on any
> other host. Building with --disable-werror is how we do it.

Ok, but it would make sense for the default configure to select the correct compile options that the build will run to completion.

>> I then ran “make check” in the gdb subdirectory.  The results were
>> slightly different for the two builds, but in both I see about 5000
>> pass and a bit over 4000 fail.  That’s an awfully high fail
>> percentage.  Is that expected?  Is GDB still intended to work on Mac
>> OS?  Should I report details on the failures, and if so, what should I
>> report and what logs are needed?
>
> It's working pretty well for us. Probably not perfect, but fairly
> well. A couple of things that come to mind:
>
>  - I think we changed the default in AdaCore's compiler to build
>    with -fno-common, although I'm not certain. You might want to
>    try that and see if that brings you better results;
>
>  - for actual debugging of a live inferior, the debugger needs
>    to be codesigned - try with a simple example first to see
>    if you can run a program and break somewhere.

So is that the reason why so many tests fail?  I know of the codesigning requirement from actually using the debugger (or rather, answering the prompt for my password, which is the alternative).  Where would I look for information on how to do this?  It would seem logical for “make check” either to do it, or to report that it needs to be done.

> MacOS 10.10 seems very old, at this point. We test on 13.4 and 14.3.

Sorry, I confused things by talking about the OS version as opposed to the Darwin version.  It’s Mac OS X 10.10.4 (Yosemite), Darwin 14.4.0, x86_64.

	paul