Isn't it OK to drop 'set write'?

Joel Brobecker brobecker@adacore.com
Mon Aug 3 18:11:00 GMT 2015

> I cannot much imagine when it is useful.  For updates of too big
> binaries there is gold incremental linking.  Personally I have also
> never considered it safe enough to use it myself, hexedit is there if
> one needs to create a weird testfile.

On Tru64 (which we no longer support), thread support required writing
into inferior memory; so if you wanted thread support when debugging
a core file, you needed to set write on.

We have a couple of tests that set it unconditionally on all platforms,
and it seems to have no adverse effect. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

--
Joel