ChangeLogs in commit messages

James Hogan james.hogan@imgtec.com
Tue Sep 9 08:51:00 GMT 2014

On 08/09/14 14:24, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>> IMHO this is a really bad idea.
>
> I wouldn't say "a really bad", but I tend to agree with the reasoning.
> It's a bit unnatural to me that git would chose to show the author
> date by default over the commit date

>From the patch author point of view, cleaning up a patchset by
interactive rebasing, or rebasing to keep their branch up to date, I
think the author date probably is more natural, and in less linear
histories (look at Linux repo for example) I suspect the commit date
wouldn't be as meaningful.

FWIW though you can put:

[format]
	pretty=fuller

in your ~/.gitconfig to default to the fuller format for git-show and
git-log, which shows the committer and commit date. It'd be nice if
something similar was possible with git-blame.

You can add new pretty formats too, e.g.

[pretty]
	fullcommit = "commit %H\nAuthor:     %an <%ae>\nCommitDate: %cd\n\n%B"
[format]
	pretty=fullcommit

This shows author name, but commit date, but I didn't figure out how to
indent the body like pretty=fuller does.

Cheers
James