Cleaning out obsolete bugs in bugzilla

Doug Evans dje@google.com
Wed Mar 12 17:10:00 GMT 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Pedro Alves <palves@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/12/2014 04:41 PM, Doug Evans wrote:
>> Hi.  I'll conclude from this that there is no disagreement with
>> closing such obsolete bugs as WONTFIX is ok.
>
> In this case I confirmed mainline builds, so it wasn't exactly
> the sort of "close just because it's old" thing.  But yeah.
> Old build bugs are fine with me to close.
>
> In this case I went with WONTFIX as meaning "Won't fix in
> the 6.3 branch."  But as I confirmed it works on mainline,
> we could go with FIXED too.  It's all the same in the end,
> but maybe FIXED is kinder to the original reporter?

fwiw, I'd hate for these discussions to drag on beyond two emails per
bug in the general case.  There's just too much else to do, and too
many such bugs to deal with.
Thus a high order bit here for me is to find a non-disagreeable way to
streamline the process (and document it so that it can stay
streamlined).

"WONTFIX" could come across with an unintended connotation alright,
but I have no current data to assign a probability to it happening.
At the moment it's just gut feeling, which is why I think there's
benefit to something else that doesn't require much, if any,
discussion, like OBSOLETE.  But I don't have a strong opinion on the
ultimate choice.  If people have a strong opinion on not inventing
anything new, fine by me, let's go with WONTFIX until we have real
data that it can be a problem.