gdb remote protocol breakpoints (Z0 command)

Frank Ch. Eigler fche@redhat.com
Tue Jun 24 00:53:00 GMT 2014

dtaylor wrote:

> [...]
> Both our old and our new stubs support tracepoints; our use of
> tracepoints preceeds GDB support for tracepoints.

I think I remember those early days.

> I've used it for things like setting a breakpoint on a
> troublesome functions and then creating a command list like --
>
>     print that the function was called and its arguments; for
>     structures, possibly print key elements of the structure
> [...]
>     print a backtrace
> [...]
>     set $retval = <current function>(<current arguments>)
> [...]

Uploading enough intelligence & information into the gdbstub
to perform inferior function calls, or especially backtraces,
is going to be a tough hill to climb.

>     re-enable breakpoint
>
> So, we end up with the function arguments, the return value, and
> selected other interesting information each time the function is called.

(Hey, you guys need to try out systemtap. :-)

- FChE