Is it possible to statically link python into gdb?

Paul_Koning@Dell.com Paul_Koning@Dell.com
Mon Jun 23 15:48:00 GMT 2014

On Jun 23, 2014, at 9:49 AM, Tim Sander <tim@krieglstein.org> wrote:

> Hi Terry
>> I am trying to build a gdb with python support which doesn't depend on
>> system python at all. I can manage to build python into static library
>> like libpython2.7.a, then I can see that this static library is linked
>> into gdb. With command ldd, there is no libpython dependence in final
>> gdb. So far all good. But when run this gdb on another machine, I ran
>> into below errors and gdb can't be initiated:
>>
>> Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
>> Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
>> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
>>
>> I am working on Ubuntu x86 machines with gdb from master branch and
>> Python 2.7. Could some one please help me? Thanks in advance.
> I don't know much about python but might it be that you need the *.py files
> of PYTHONHOME/lib nevertheless to get a running python interpreter?

I assume you’d need at least a couple, for the standard Python startup machinery to work.  Some of that can be suppressed when Python is involved by a command; I assume this can also be done when Python is embedded.

Note also that a lot of Python modules are not just .py files but also .so files or equivalent.

	paul