gdb single stepping takes ages

Yao Qi yao@codesourcery.com
Wed Jun 18 09:28:00 GMT 2014

On 06/18/2014 04:14 PM, Tim Sander wrote:
> Just after sending the mail recognized that the thread: "Remote Debugging with
> NEXT Command" touches a similar (the same?) issue. A solution mentioned was
> range checking. But in the openocd case it seems already enabled:

range stepping was added to improve the line stepping speed, but remote
stub (openocd in your case) has to support it.

> show range-stepping
> Debugger's willingness to use range stepping is on.

GDB can't do range stepping without stub's support.  This command shows
the willingness of GDB to use range stepping, but if stub doesn't
support, GDB is still unable to do that.  Please check your stub really
supports range stepping.

>From the code or rsp level, the remote stub has to claim it supports
range stepping in the reply to vCont? ('r' in the reply), like this:

Sending packet: $vCont?#49...Packet received: vCont;c;C;s;S;t;r

Then, if we type command 'next', GDB will send "vCont;r"

Sending packet: $vCont;r80484cc,80484d7:p1cb0.1cb0;c#16...Packet
received: T0505:38eeffbf;04:c0ebffbf;08:d7840408;thread:p1cb0.1cb0;core:0;

--
Yao (齐尧)