[GDB Wiki] Add editor privilege control

Joel Brobecker brobecker@adacore.com
Fri Feb 14 07:26:00 GMT 2014

> Why does it make sense to have a wiki that doesn't behave like a wiki,
> i.e. is not a community-provided content?  IOW, how is what you
> propose different from having this stuff on the GDB project web pages,
> which are editable by only a few select people?

It would be editable by anybody, they would just have to show
that they are a real person without spamming intentions. The way
it would work is that anyone already in the edit group can add
anyone else by just editing a wiki page and adding the new user's
ID to the list, thereby vouching for them. It's still community-fed,
but just a little more controlled to make sure that only genuine
modifications are made.

As an example: I needed to make a change in the GCC wiki,
found that I cannot edit. Saw that there was a note about that
pointing me to the EditorGroup page. It told me that anyone
on that list can add someone else. So I contacted a couple of
people on the list I knew and they added me pronto.

If you haven't done so, I invite you to check out GCC's EditorGroup
page:

   http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/EditorGroup

It really shows how simple it is to maintain that list and add
new people. The list currently has 52 people, and no question
was ever asked when I got added.

I would also welcome anyone to participate in the maintenance
of the GDB web pages as well. I even recently wrote a small
wiki page explaining how to make updates to it.
https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/GDBWebsiteUpdateProcedure

--
Joel