How important is mcheck?

Florian Weimer fweimer@redhat.com
Mon Feb 10 15:50:00 GMT 2014

GDB enables mcheck if available, unless Python with threading support is
built in (which most distributions do).  I've proposed to deprecate
mcheck in glibc, with a goal towards eventually replacing it with stubs
unavailable to newly compiled programs.  GDB would still run (and
compile), albeit without mcheck support.

I see two bug reports about issues discovered with mcheck, so maybe it
is useful.

Could you move mcheck in-tree?  Then you'd be able to enable it
regardless of Python threading support.