GDB 7.6.2 on Mac OS: Could not find the frame base for "Class::method()".

Neal Kruis neal.kruis@bigladdersoftware.com
Tue Feb 4 17:32:00 GMT 2014

I am trying to debug a C++ program on Mac OS using a homebrew version
of gdb. I think it works fine in my main() function, but elsewhere it
gives me a warning when I try to look at the value of a variable:

Could not find the frame base for "Class::method()".

After scouring the internet, I am having a hard time understanding
what this error means or finding out how to fix the problem.

Since Apple's Xcode command line tools are painfully out-of-date I
needed to use my own homebrewed versions of gcc and gdb. I don't know
if there is something in the setup for these tools that I might have
missed.

Any thoughts?

My system:
Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)
gcc 4.8.2 (homebrewed) (with -O0 and -g3)
gdb 7.6.2 (homebrewed and codesigned)

This question is also posted on Stack Overflow if you want to answer it there:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21556868/how-do-i-get-a-homebrewed-version-of-gdb-working-on-mac-os-x

Neal Kruis