MI async status output

Vladimir Prus vladimir@codesourcery.com
Fri Apr 18 16:30:00 GMT 2014

On 18.04.2014 14:46, Bob Rossi wrote:

>> whereas MI has grammar, the fact that actual output does not always match the
>> grammar is well known. This specific problem was not known to me.
>>
>> It is obviously possible to fix in a parser. It's also possible to fix in GDB,
>> but as usual the question of what existing frontends might depend on this behaviour.
>
> Thanks for the response. I'm writing a new grammar that will be open
> source that handles as many possible outputs that GDB outputs, for as
> many possible GDB versions. I'm writing unit and system tests to
> validate this effort.

Is this a part of some larger effort?

> I'm taking notes every time i have to modify the parser to detail the
> reasons why.
>
> When I'm done, perhaps we can update GDB's manual with the new grammar
> that I constuct, considering the one in the manual is just plain wrong.

That would be helpful; ideally we'd clearly mark, in the grammar, the
cases where actual GDB behaviour differs from desirable behaviour, so
that these can be eliminated if anybody starts MI3.

Though quite possibly, MI3 should just accept and produce JSON.

--
Vladimir Prus
CodeSourcery / Mentor Graphics