MI async status output

Vladimir Prus vladimir@codesourcery.com
Fri Apr 18 10:46:00 GMT 2014

On 12.04.2014 04:25, Bob Rossi wrote:

> 3)
>      +download,{section=".interp",section-size="28",total-size="2466"}
>               ^ (, eaten here)
>      async-output ==>
>          async-class ( "," result )*
>
> 4) Error here: result must start with a variable name.
>      +download,{section=".interp",section-size="28",total-size="2466"}
>                ^ (syntax error)
>      result ==>
>          variable "=" value
>      variable ==>
>          string
>
> Did I find a bug or is this well known behavior of GDB and MI?
>
> If it's well known behavior, can anyone explain it? It's possible that
> result could be just a 'value' instead of 'variable = value'. In this
> case that would solve the problem perhaps.

Bob,

whereas MI has grammar, the fact that actual output does not always match the
grammar is well known. This specific problem was not known to me.

It is obviously possible to fix in a parser. It's also possible to fix in GDB,
but as usual the question of what existing frontends might depend on this behaviour.

--
Vladimir Prus
CodeSourcery / Mentor Graphics