Vendor branches on sourceware.org's binutils-gdb repo

Stan Shebs stanshebs@earthlink.net
Wed Apr 9 17:58:00 GMT 2014

On 4/5/14 1:12 PM, Edjunior Barbosa Machado wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> at the time when binutils/gdb was moving to git, there has been some
> discussion in the mailing list [1] about the possibility of hosting
> vendor branches on sourceware.org's binutils-gdb git repository but, as
> far as I understood, there has been no agreement about this policy.

One small point in favor of vendor branches is that it ensures we
have the code already in hand - if a project goes on the back burner,
or changes ownership, or an admin leaves, the vendor repo can disappear
overnight.

On the question of space and activity, are there vendor branches that
are really so much more active than our trunk?  I would expect them
be to relatively quiet most of the time, vendor branches typically
having fewer people doing work on them.

Stan