Vendor branches on sourceware.org's binutils-gdb repo

Markus Trippelsdorf markus@trippelsdorf.de
Mon Apr 7 15:41:00 GMT 2014

On 2014.04.07 at 07:47 -0700, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > But it's not necessarily easy for the vendor to _host_ that other
> > repository.  And IMHO, the current 288 MB for binutils-gdb git objects
> > aren't enough to discourage vendor branches (and if you're worried about
> > the download size it's equally easy to simply not pull those branches).
>
> I don't think it's "equally easy" to not pull those branches.
> If it is, I'd like to have the recipe for "pull all branches except
> some", and I will put it on the GDB wiki.

That doesn't work in git AFAIK. What you can do is list all branches
that you like to pull in .git/config. The following example if from my
gcc git tree, but you get the idea:

[remote "origin"]
	url = git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
	fetch = refs/heads/master:refs/remotes/origin/master
	fetch = refs/heads/gcc-4_7-branch:refs/remotes/origin/gcc-4_7-branch
	fetch = refs/heads/gcc-4_8-branch:refs/remotes/origin/gcc-4_8-branch

--
Markus