Vendor branches on sourceware.org's binutils-gdb repo

Aaro Koskinen aaro.koskinen@iki.fi
Sun Apr 6 19:18:00 GMT 2014

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 03:02:49AM -0300, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
> Hm, just a comment, but nothing major or blocker.  I understand the need
> for vendor branches, but I also think that we should make more use of
> git's distributed model.  For example, why can't Company X (I am not
> criticizing anyone particularly, really) create and maintain its own git
> repository, with all the necessary branches there?  Wouldn't that be
> better than (a) "polluting" sourceware's repository and (b) putting an
> extra pressure on sourceware's infra?

I think it's very useful for users to have all vendor branches
in a single repository. At least with glibc this has helped me a lot
(as a user) when identifying and cherry-picking needed fixes to
my own systems.

A.