[GDB 7.6/GCC 4.8.0] Slowdown in GDB macro processing for cores?

Doug Evans dje@google.com
Tue May 28 17:40:00 GMT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Paul Smith <psmith@gnu.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 10:10 -0700, Doug Evans wrote:
>> And I can't offhand explain why you *only* see the slowdown with a
>> core file and not with a live executable.
>
> Well, just because we haven't found a way to make it happen with live
> debugging doesn't mean it couldn't :-).

Indeed.

>> I wasn't aware of the problems with the 12/11/16 patch you found.
>> I've submitted a minor improvement - IMO the real fix will involve a
>> lot more effort - gdb's symbol handling is obtuse enough that it's
>> easy to introduce performance regressions or even overlook basic
>> performance problems.
>
> I'll try the latest Git to see if it makes a difference.

I'd be curious for before/after data with this patch:

http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2013-05/msg00964.html

I doubt it fixes everything, or even a lot of it.
But data is good.