add-inferior / clone-inferior

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Tue May 21 13:52:00 GMT 2013

>>>>> "David" == David Taylor <dtaylor@emc.com> writes:

David> I want to have separate sockets at GDB's end.  I do not want to have a
David> "meta stub" (not really a good name, but nothing better quickly comes to
David> mind) on the local box that managers tcp connections and peeks into the
David> packets to determine when to set up or break down a new tcp connection
David> and where to send the packets.

I've been calling that a "federating gdbserver".
It federates multiple instances into a single server.

David> THat approach is UGLY.

It has one advantage -- you can link them together hierarchically, so
gdb can talk to more remote servers than it has available file
descriptors.

Anyway, I certainly want gdb to be multi-target-capable.  I think others
do too.  It just requires someone to do the work.

Tom