add-inferior / clone-inferior

Luis Machado lgustavo@codesourcery.com
Mon May 20 15:52:00 GMT 2013

On 05/20/2013 05:46 PM, David Taylor wrote:
> Luis Machado <lgustavo@codesourcery.com> wrote:
>
>> This is expected since you can actually have two inferiors, but you are
>> only allowed to connect to a single remote target at one time.
>>
>> What would've worked is first connecting to a remote target in
>> *extended* remote mode. Then you would be able to attach to more than a
>> process at a time, or start more than a process at a time.
>>
>> By using "target remote", you're really trying to debug an already
>> active process running on a remote system.
>>
>> I'd suggest reading about the extended remote mode. That looks like what
>> you want, though multiprocess support is still a WIP.
>
> Actually, no.  The issue is not extended-remote vs remote.  We have boxes
> with multiple boards each running a kernel.  The box I tried running gdb
> against on Thursday has 10 boards of interest.  Each running its own
> instance of the kernel -- 2 instances each of 5 different versions of
> the kernel.

Ok. It just seemed like the example you used was incorrectly assuming
"target remote" would be able to do what "target extended-remote" does.

> For that machine if I want to talk to all 10 boards, then I need 10
> different tcp connections -- each talking to a different gdb stub.

In the current scenario you would probably need a specialized debugging
stub that would be able to multiplex between all of those boards. I've
worked with a similar system before.

As for making GDB accept all those different connections at the same
time, i don't think it is currently prepared for that.

Luis