Debugging agent library

Yao Qi yao@codesourcery.com
Thu May 9 01:01:00 GMT 2013

On 05/09/2013 03:41 AM, Suchakra Sharma wrote:
> Thanks for your detailed reply. We were able to rectify the issue. We
> tried with a clean install of gdb and libdagent on another machine which
> did not show any issue. The problem was probably because we tinkered
> around the dagent code a bit before using it. All works well now.

Good.

> Indeed, dynamic tracing with GDB is getting more awesome day by day
> (this view is reinforced by some tests I ran in-house which really show
> how powerful and fast it is) A you know LTTng/UST already has quite fast
> static tracing features, so our main aim is to get dynamic tracing
> infrastructure of GDB in LTTng/UST for fast dynamic user space tracing
> in an elegant way. We are not 100% clear how it shall be achieved at
> this moment but we are exploring all avenues for now. At first glance it
> looked as if we could  do it using this library coupled with GDB
> (controlled through LTTng/UST acting as our tool). Your ideas are
> welcome and we surely shall contribute once we get a good knack of how
> to extend GDB's functionality for our use.

GDB/GDBserver is able to control UST static tracepoint through agent,
but UST is 0.11 and URCU is 0.5.3, which is a little bit old.  In UST
0.12 release, the GDB support is removed unfortunately.  Probably you
can have a look at testsuite/gdb.trace/strace.exp to see how
GDB/GDBserver interact with UST static tracepoints.

--
Yao (齐尧)