gdb.arch vs. gdb.base gcore test cases

Pedro Alves palves@redhat.com
Fri May 3 14:00:00 GMT 2013

On 05/03/2013 02:15 PM, Andreas Arnez wrote:
> Pedro Alves <palves@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> On 05/03/2013 12:15 PM, Andreas Arnez wrote:
>>> The following two test cases are mostly identical, and their associated
>>> C source files are exactly identical:
>>>
>>>     gdb.arch/system-gcore.exp
>>>     gdb.base/gcore.exp
>>>
>>> Is there any specific reason for the two copies?  Just curious...
>>
>> Well, what does git blame, and the initial submission of the
>> corresponding patches say?  The answer probably lies in what makes them
>> "mostly identical" rather than "exactly identical" being arch
>> specific.  If the differences are really small, then we could merge
>> them into gcore.exp, using istarget to guard the arch specific bits.

> The x86-specific one is newer; it was introduced with this change:
>
>     2010-04-17  H.J. Lu  <hongjiu.lu@intel.com>
>
>     	PR corefiles/11511
>     	* gdb.arch/system-gcore.exp: New.
>     	* gdb.arch/gcore.c: Likewise.
>
> The only functional difference seems to be that system-gcore.exp adds a
> new comparison (before/after) for the output from "info reg system".

Did you check the original patch submission description in the
mailing list archives for a possible rationale?

Given that "system" is a predefined register group, I think
"info reg system" works on all targets, though it might come
out empty if no register is actually in that group on a given
target.  That seems fine for this test.

--
Pedro Alves