gdb/mi or python interface for front end

Joel Brobecker brobecker@adacore.com
Fri Aug 23 14:07:00 GMT 2013

> I'm interested in improving the CGDB front end to GDB.
>
> I would like some advice. It currently uses annotate level 2
> for communication. Should I look into gdb/mi or should i look
> into scripting gdb with the python interface?
>
> Any pointers would be helpful.

I hope others who have more actual knowledge will answer, but
in case no one else does, my first reaction would be to look
into GDB/MI, because that's the interface that was designed
to be used by front ends. The Python API is getting very versatile,
but I don't know if it is going to provide everything you need
nor whether it'll be convenient to use. In particular, sending
commands, getting the output (with stdout and stderr separated),
etc.

--
Joel