A Proposal to Move to Git

Alan Modra amodra@gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 23:55:00 GMT 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:10:47PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
> > CC: Binutils Development <binutils@sourceware.org>
> > Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 15:12:41 -0600
> >
> > I'd like to move gdb and binutils from CVS to Git.  I've done much of
> > the preliminary work and I will do the remainder, including the
> > inevitable follow-up bug-fixing.
>
> I still *hate* git.

I'm an old dinosaur too. :)  I've only just started really using git,
but I'm getting to like it..

> Except for one tiny question.  How much free space do I need to clone

A lot less than you need to make CVS reasonable.  As a maintainer I
find I often need to dig through old patches.  With CVS that means
you need a local copy of the whole repository, without which
operations like cvs -D"some date" -D"some date + 2 minutes" take
forever.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM