A Proposal to Move to Git

Richard Earnshaw rearnsha@arm.com
Thu Aug 22 14:16:00 GMT 2013

On 21/08/13 16:37, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-08-20 at 15:12 -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:
>
>> I'd like to do the final switch around mid-September.  Not sooner,
>> because I am going to be away for a little while near the end of
>> August, and I want to be available to fix problems.
>>
>> Tom
>
> There was a comment on the gdb list about releasing GDB 7.7 before the
> transition, I wonder if it would make sense to release a Binutils 2.24
> as well?  In general, I am in favor of the transition and I don't think
> doing (or not doing) a binutils 2.24 release should be a blocker for the
> move to git, but I wouldn't mind seeing a new release before the
> transition.

If you switch after the releases have been made you also need to
consider how you'll handle 'dot' releases should they be necessary.  Are
they going to come from the CVS source base and then be re-imported into
GIT?  Or, are you going to use a different process to handle them from
that used to produce the main release?

R.