A Proposal to Move to Git

Phil Muldoon pmuldoon@redhat.com
Tue Aug 20 22:59:00 GMT 2013

On 20/08/13 22:12, Tom Tromey wrote:
> I'd like to move gdb and binutils from CVS to Git.  I've done much of
> the preliminary work and I will do the remainder, including the
> inevitable follow-up bug-fixing.

I have no technical points, other than a hearty approval of this move.

git is stable, well used, and far more efficient than equivalent
source control versions.  There are many reasons, which I won't go
into here (but a quick search on the net will tell you why).

Also there are many, many transition guides for CVS users, one example
of which is here:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/v1.4.4.4/cvs-migration.html

That's not definitive, but an example.

Anyway I look forward to the transition.  And thanks for doing this.

Cheers,

Phil