[GSoC2013] question about "improve the GDB port for GNU Hurd"

Thomas Schwinge thomas@codesourcery.com
Tue Apr 30 09:14:00 GMT 2013

Hi!

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 00:54:26 +0800, 陆岳 <hacklu.newborn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in participating GsoC 2013 with GNU Hurd for improve
> the GDB Port for GNU Hurd.

Thanks for your interest!

> Write this email I mainly to identify which work should I do in this
> project. just Port gdbserver or something else?

Well, as I said in the announcement email,
<http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2013-04/msg00015.html>, and as reflected on
the project idea page,
<http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/community/gsoc/project_ideas/gdb.html>,
that is basically up for negotiation with the community, the mentor, and
the student.

> Last  may I introduce myself, my name is Yue Lu who is a second-year
> MS student in CS from Tongji University in China. I have worked as a
> FTE  in a company which produce embed-device.
> What's plus, I had experience with linux kernel programming. And I
> know GDB was use ptrace  to commutate with linux kernel.
> Sadly say, I have't enough knowledge about Hurd, but I have great
> enthusiasm to learn that.

Then I suggest you turn that enthusiasm into productivity ;-) -- install
a GNU/Hurd system,
<http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/debian.html>, maybe start
with a KVM/QEMU/VirtualBox image, and do a first run of the GDB testsuite
(please locally apply the attached patch to disable some testcases that
currently cause issues as described).
<http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/open_issues/gdb.html> can help with how
to configure GDB, and so on.  In parallel, please get an understanding
how, roughly, the Hurd port of GDB works and interacts with the Hurd
system.

Of course, we're happy to help and answer specific questions.

Grüße,
 Thomas