Problem calling functions within gdb (version 7.5)

Phil Muldoon pmuldoon@redhat.com
Thu Apr 25 13:10:00 GMT 2013

On 24/04/13 22:30, Saurabh T wrote:
> Here's a simple C++ example:

> 1. call fn(3, x)
> 2. print k
> Let's say this prints 0x7ffb24
> call fn2(0x7ffb24)
> gdb again says: Cannot resolve function fn2 to any overloaded instance
> This also used to work with gdb 7.2. Here I can understand if promoting ints to arbitrary pointers is no longer supported.

[pmuldoon@localhost build]$ gdb --version
GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora (7.5.1-37.fc18)
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu".

(gdb) b 19
Breakpoint 1 at 0x4006bc: file /home/pmuldoon/pr.c, line 19.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/pmuldoon/pr
1 2 3
3 4 5
5 6 7
3

Breakpoint 1, main () at /home/pmuldoon/pr.c:19
19	  return 0;
(gdb) call fn(3,x)
1 2 3
3 4 5
5 6 7
(gdb) call fn2(k)
3
(gdb) p k
$1 = (int *) 0x7fffffffe064
(gdb) call fn2(0x7fffffffe064)
3

So it works with my installed GDB.  What architecture, and what minor
version of GDB are you using (ie 7.5.x)?  How did you compile the
binary?  I did:

gcc  -std=c99 ~/build/pr.c -o ~/build/pr -O0 -g3

Cheers,

Phil