Will therefore GDB utilize C++ or not?

Russell Shaw rjshaw@netspace.net.au
Sat Jun 2 10:47:00 GMT 2012

On 02/06/12 17:13, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 09:01:03 +0200, Russell Shaw wrote:
>> Hitting my F9 "compile" button would result in an annoying
>> half-second delay when compiling simple programs using the STL
>> (years ago when i did C++). Self written utility libraries such as
>> those already done in C in gdb could avoid that.
>
> Saving that half-second discourages contributors by using non-standard
> libraries for the same basic functionality they already know well from C++.

A friend said when he was using the full STL, the delay was 8 seconds.

It's completely intolerable when one is used to incremental
editing/compiling/running with instant C compilations.

Wouldn't there be far more existing GDB contributors that would understand
C++'ified gdb libraries, than C++ coders that know anything about the internals
of gdb?

General STL libraries could be ok to a degree, where there is little performance
or resource impact, and where it simplifies current code.