xz-compressed release tarballs?

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Mon Jan 30 21:06:00 GMT 2012

On Monday 30 January 2012 14:54:04 Stan Shebs wrote:
> So while we can certainly debate whether this feature or that helps or
> hinders future progress, I don't think it's in our interests to
> disparage all the legacy support.

i didn't say "legacy isn't supported at all".  xz will work on legacy systems
just fine provided you d/l and build the decompressor (which is freely
available).  what i did say is that we can't restrict ourselves based on what
random old versions of tar people have on their random systems which happens
to not detect xz transparently.

your `tar` doesn't support -J, or -I, or -a doesn't detect xz ?  then run
`unxz` yourself first.  there is no actual problem here.  the only thing i've
seen from Eli is that he doesn't want to have to run `unxz ... && tar xf ...`.
-mike