xz-compressed release tarballs?

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil@redhat.com
Fri Jan 27 09:26:00 GMT 2012

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:31:48 +0100, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> That slow bzip2 decompression is a continuous pain during packaging, staring
> at bzip2 -dc on each gdb.spec debugging cycle.

I have realized it may not help in this case as the packaging commonly
involves snapshots
	ftp://sourceware.org/pub/gdb/snapshots/current/

Which are already shipped only as .tar.bz2, with no .tar.gz there.

I am fine with providing the snapshots only as .tar.xz but that may bring more
disagreements.  The snapshots may not be so world visible like the releases.
Are there concerns about snapshots only in the .tar.xz format?

Regards,
Jan