xz-compressed release tarballs?

Jim Meyering jim@meyering.net
Thu Jan 26 20:22:00 GMT 2012

I have just downloaded 20MB of gdb-7.4.tar.bz2
and lamented that it wasn't xz-compressed.

With xz -9e, that would have been 25% smaller,
at 15282412 bytes (contrast w/20614020 for .bz2).
The .xz tarball would have uncompressed more quickly, too.

For reference, gnome went xz-only in September:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.devel.announce/210

and I have done the same with coreutils-8.14 and 8.15 and grep-2.10.
No one has complained, since xz is available nearly everywhere,
these days, and on the few/aging systems for which it is not
already packaged, it's easy to build the latest from source.

Obviously, gdb needn't drop .gz and .bz2 tarballs now or ever,
but please do consider distributing .xz-compressed tarballs.