gdbarch_skip_solib_resolver question

Mark Kettenis mark.kettenis@xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 11 08:44:00 GMT 2012

>  I noticed that gdbarch_skip_solib_resolver() invokes
>  glibc_skip_solib_resolver() on x86, mips, and sh to identify
>  that gdb is stepping into _dl_runtime_resolve.
>
>  On PowerPC, gdbarch_skip_solib_resolver() always returns a zero.
>
>  I don't see any problem with gdb stopping in _dl_runtime_resolve
>  or not stepping over the routine.
>
>  So, what does this mean?  Is calling glibc_skip_solib_resolver()
>  optional?  Or is the handle_inferior_event() code so convoluted
>  or intelligent that it works even when pieces are missing?

If I remember correctly, gdbarch_skip_solib_resolver() is just an
optimization.  If it returns an address where GDB can set a breakpoint
that gets hit upon return from the dynamic linker.  If
gdbarch_skip_solib_resolver() returns zero GDB just single-steps through
the dynamic linker, which works, but is a bit slower.